Fabulous Lessons At 4:55am
Today's lessons with Chris Conte and Nick Perna went fabulously well. Coach K was also there for most of them, so she got to see what they wanted as well. Here's the recap:
Lesson with Chris:
We worked on my double toe. It was amazing to see the jump on the dartfish software (slow motion with freeze frames). Chris quickly identified several problems: 1. my R arm wasn't checking back after the 3turn, 2. the 3turn was curving too much (FI edge was waaaay too curved), 3. the 3turn had uneven tempo (FI and BO edges not the same length), 4. my head was turned over my left shoulder which contributes to letting the upper body come around before my hips. He had me do a sequence of walk through drill, walk through with a hop drill, and then try the double. This way, I reinforced the correct technique twice doing drills that are fairly easy for me. It really helped me feel more comfortable with the double. And, I did one that was almost straight! They're still about 1/4 turn cheated, but I wasn't getting much height today. Hopefully once I get more comfortable with the corrections, I'll get more height and be able to complete the rotation.
Lesson with Nick:
The original plan was to do double toe again, but it was feeling good with all of Chris' corrections, so I decided to work on double loop. Nick immediately recognized my bad habit of leaning back in my jumps. He had me do a backspin from a BO pivot into a tight rotational position (h-D exercise) and come out on two feet in a loop take-off position. It really forced me to stay forward. I also did walk throughs of the 2loop ending in this position. Then, I did loop-loop-loop with my arms in a frame (holding elbows in a square shape in front of me, lower than my shoulders) and I had to land each loop on two feet. I also did a drill where I stand next to the wall in rotation position (lean into the wall) and push myself into a backspin to come back to the wall while still leaning in. Veeeeery tricky. The first double that I did was really nice. Then, the next few were cheated. I think I'll be using Chris' suggestion here too from now on. I'll do a few drills, then one double. Then a few more drills, then one double.
The moral of the story: More Drills, Less Spills
You can check out bios for Nick and Chris under the Faculty Bios link at:
http://www.grassrootstochampions.com/
They're amazing coaches!
Lesson with Chris:
We worked on my double toe. It was amazing to see the jump on the dartfish software (slow motion with freeze frames). Chris quickly identified several problems: 1. my R arm wasn't checking back after the 3turn, 2. the 3turn was curving too much (FI edge was waaaay too curved), 3. the 3turn had uneven tempo (FI and BO edges not the same length), 4. my head was turned over my left shoulder which contributes to letting the upper body come around before my hips. He had me do a sequence of walk through drill, walk through with a hop drill, and then try the double. This way, I reinforced the correct technique twice doing drills that are fairly easy for me. It really helped me feel more comfortable with the double. And, I did one that was almost straight! They're still about 1/4 turn cheated, but I wasn't getting much height today. Hopefully once I get more comfortable with the corrections, I'll get more height and be able to complete the rotation.
Lesson with Nick:
The original plan was to do double toe again, but it was feeling good with all of Chris' corrections, so I decided to work on double loop. Nick immediately recognized my bad habit of leaning back in my jumps. He had me do a backspin from a BO pivot into a tight rotational position (h-D exercise) and come out on two feet in a loop take-off position. It really forced me to stay forward. I also did walk throughs of the 2loop ending in this position. Then, I did loop-loop-loop with my arms in a frame (holding elbows in a square shape in front of me, lower than my shoulders) and I had to land each loop on two feet. I also did a drill where I stand next to the wall in rotation position (lean into the wall) and push myself into a backspin to come back to the wall while still leaning in. Veeeeery tricky. The first double that I did was really nice. Then, the next few were cheated. I think I'll be using Chris' suggestion here too from now on. I'll do a few drills, then one double. Then a few more drills, then one double.
The moral of the story: More Drills, Less Spills
You can check out bios for Nick and Chris under the Faculty Bios link at:
http://www.grassrootstochampions.com/
They're amazing coaches!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home