Choctaw Tip and Super Special New Spin
Coach K got the greatest tip for choctaws from another coach at the rink. When doing mohawks, you should have your feet close together. When doing choctaws, you should have your knees close together. OMG, choctaws actually made some sense after that. I still have some flats, but they look more like choctaws than mohawks now.
Now for the super special new spin news... I can do a 3 rev. back camel in the opposite direction!!! I've always wanted to be able to spin in both directions. I used to play around with it years ago. Back then, I only tried forward spins, and the best I got was a nice one foot with the free leg tucked behind. Well, on Tuesday I decided to use some logic. I spin much better on my left leg which would be backspins in the opposite direction. Sure enough, I can kinda-sorta do an opposite direction backspin with change of edge. Freakin' cool. Then, I thought about it a bit more and decided that my camel is pretty good on my left foot, so why not try an opposite direction back camel. Surprise, surprise, I got one for 2ish revs. They're kind of slow and loopy, but it is definitely a recognizable CW back camel. I tried a few more today, and got two with 3 revs. I can't wait to show Coach K at tomorrow's lesson. (She's a freak for unusual spinning ability.)
Now for the super special new spin news... I can do a 3 rev. back camel in the opposite direction!!! I've always wanted to be able to spin in both directions. I used to play around with it years ago. Back then, I only tried forward spins, and the best I got was a nice one foot with the free leg tucked behind. Well, on Tuesday I decided to use some logic. I spin much better on my left leg which would be backspins in the opposite direction. Sure enough, I can kinda-sorta do an opposite direction backspin with change of edge. Freakin' cool. Then, I thought about it a bit more and decided that my camel is pretty good on my left foot, so why not try an opposite direction back camel. Surprise, surprise, I got one for 2ish revs. They're kind of slow and loopy, but it is definitely a recognizable CW back camel. I tried a few more today, and got two with 3 revs. I can't wait to show Coach K at tomorrow's lesson. (She's a freak for unusual spinning ability.)

3 Comments:
At 6:35 PM,
Anonymous said…
really? keep your knees together? my coach tells me to plie into it. hmmm.
yay on the spin!
3turn
At 4:14 PM,
Jennifer said…
The position I end up in when I do my best choctaws is sort of like a plie in 5th, but I cross my feet a bit more so that the knees are closer together. Bending the knees is a huge help, so I can see how it's helpful to think of doing a plie into it.
I should add that my knees don't actually touch. I just think of keeping them as close as possible.
At 6:18 PM,
Anonymous said…
actually, that's exactly what he says - plie in 5th! i never thought about keeping the feet/legs/knees close though - I tend to wide step. Will give it a try tomorrow!
3turn
ps... this storm is my first! i'm ready to head back to cali - and we didn't get anywhere near 10 inches - i think more like 6 up where my house is and about 3 down here where my apartment is. but the ice is unreal!
Post a Comment
<< Home