Updates
I've been skating well this week. The changes I'm making in my jumps seem to be helping, and I'm getting change of edge spins down pretty well.
Jump Update:
--Double salchow: Still consistent! *knocks on wood again* I've been focusing on the take-off up to this point, and it seems to be better. Coach K wants me to try to push my limits on this jump, aka. jump higher and really go for it. I find that I can get lots of height, but the higher I get, the sloppier I get. Now that the take-off is working, I'll need to work on better air/landing position.
--Double toe: I landed 90% today! I think I've gone from about 1" of distance to 5", but that's still not nearly enough. I've been doing lots of singles into traveling 3's on a line to practice keeping the jump straight and then getting over my right side to rotate. It seems to be helping.
--Double loop: It's back to only 1/4 cheat! Thank goodness, because that landing forward and doing a 3turn to complete the rotation crap had to go. It's one of the things that I hate to see in others, and I couldn't stand the fact that I'd started doing it myself. Hopefully, once I get my free leg in the right position, it'll be fully rotated. I was a bit wrapped today.
Spin Update:
--Camel spin with a change to an outside edge- I can do it consistently now!!! And, in lesson today, I got 4 complete revs on the FO edge! Yes! Freakin' finally.
--Fratianne sit - back sit with a change to an inside edge - I can do this too! And, I'm not coming up as high on the change of edge. I'm almost keeping my hip and knee at equal height now. Almost. There.
--Flying camel with a change to an inside edge - I find this incredibly difficult. The change of edge was so natural for me on the forward camel, but I just don't have the same feel for my back camel. To execute the change of edge, I have to get my weight back on my heel, and then push my toe forward. I have a hard time getting my weight over my heel on this spin. Forward, I can do it easily, but it confounds me in the back camel. I realized today that my heel is actually lifted in my skate when I do a back camel. Odd. I did get to the inside edge, but failed to hold it for more than 1/4 of a rev. I'm going to have to work hard for this spin.
--Layback - Just wouldn't cooperate in lesson today. I did a steady, slow one with good position for Coach K, then when I tried to get more snap and speed, I couldn't hold a decent position. Some days these work really well, and some days they just don't. Must get more consistent.
Junior Moves:
--Power Circles: I need to make sure I'm accelerating evenly, and not too early. Two slow xovers and the rest fast will NOT work. And, my last few xovers need to be quicker. I have tons of speed, I just need to shorten my pushes and make the last few xovers happen faster. (Note: Back power circles scare me b/c I am convinced that I will hit someone and die on them. It's crazy to go that fast backward diagonally across the rink when there are other people there, even if it's only 3 people.)
--Choctaws: Coach K says she sees more progress here. I've gone from barely moving to snail speed to turtle speed. Now, Coach K wants me to have actual edges instead of flats and to keep a count so the edges are all even length. She must think I'm Michelle Kwan or something... I even fell on these today. Not a bad fall, didn't hurt at all. It was actually hilarious because I made the correction Coach K asked for perfectly and then promptly stepped on my toepick and tripped myself. We had a good laugh.
Jump Update:
--Double salchow: Still consistent! *knocks on wood again* I've been focusing on the take-off up to this point, and it seems to be better. Coach K wants me to try to push my limits on this jump, aka. jump higher and really go for it. I find that I can get lots of height, but the higher I get, the sloppier I get. Now that the take-off is working, I'll need to work on better air/landing position.
--Double toe: I landed 90% today! I think I've gone from about 1" of distance to 5", but that's still not nearly enough. I've been doing lots of singles into traveling 3's on a line to practice keeping the jump straight and then getting over my right side to rotate. It seems to be helping.
--Double loop: It's back to only 1/4 cheat! Thank goodness, because that landing forward and doing a 3turn to complete the rotation crap had to go. It's one of the things that I hate to see in others, and I couldn't stand the fact that I'd started doing it myself. Hopefully, once I get my free leg in the right position, it'll be fully rotated. I was a bit wrapped today.
Spin Update:
--Camel spin with a change to an outside edge- I can do it consistently now!!! And, in lesson today, I got 4 complete revs on the FO edge! Yes! Freakin' finally.
--Fratianne sit - back sit with a change to an inside edge - I can do this too! And, I'm not coming up as high on the change of edge. I'm almost keeping my hip and knee at equal height now. Almost. There.
--Flying camel with a change to an inside edge - I find this incredibly difficult. The change of edge was so natural for me on the forward camel, but I just don't have the same feel for my back camel. To execute the change of edge, I have to get my weight back on my heel, and then push my toe forward. I have a hard time getting my weight over my heel on this spin. Forward, I can do it easily, but it confounds me in the back camel. I realized today that my heel is actually lifted in my skate when I do a back camel. Odd. I did get to the inside edge, but failed to hold it for more than 1/4 of a rev. I'm going to have to work hard for this spin.
--Layback - Just wouldn't cooperate in lesson today. I did a steady, slow one with good position for Coach K, then when I tried to get more snap and speed, I couldn't hold a decent position. Some days these work really well, and some days they just don't. Must get more consistent.
Junior Moves:
--Power Circles: I need to make sure I'm accelerating evenly, and not too early. Two slow xovers and the rest fast will NOT work. And, my last few xovers need to be quicker. I have tons of speed, I just need to shorten my pushes and make the last few xovers happen faster. (Note: Back power circles scare me b/c I am convinced that I will hit someone and die on them. It's crazy to go that fast backward diagonally across the rink when there are other people there, even if it's only 3 people.)
--Choctaws: Coach K says she sees more progress here. I've gone from barely moving to snail speed to turtle speed. Now, Coach K wants me to have actual edges instead of flats and to keep a count so the edges are all even length. She must think I'm Michelle Kwan or something... I even fell on these today. Not a bad fall, didn't hurt at all. It was actually hilarious because I made the correction Coach K asked for perfectly and then promptly stepped on my toepick and tripped myself. We had a good laugh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home