Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Friday, April 28, 2006

The After Test Slump

Well, after passing novice moves, I hit a slump for a few days. I was so excited that I would have an extra 20min per session to spend on my program or freestyle elements instead of novice moves, but instead of working hard, I ended up skating kind of aimlessly. It was really depressing because I'd neglected to practice my program in the week leading up to the moves test and the program was as rough as ever. And, my jumps all went screwy. And, the morning freestyles seemed extra crowded which always gives me skater claustrophobia (an intense fear of hitting another skater that prevents me from performing any maneuver correctly when another skater is nearby).

Wednesday's lesson was a complete and total suckfest. Coach K forgot to bring my music, so we couldn't finish my program. So, we worked on axels which actually weren't terrible. We've made a lot of changes in my technique, and we're both kind of surprised that the jump hasn't gone to pieces. It is going through growing pains though. But the good news is that probably 1 out of every five axels I do is really, really nice. The rest are acceptable, but of course, I always want them to be perfect. We moved onto double sals next. This is where the suckfest began. I hate-hate-hate salchows. My body just doesn't get them. I'll land them just fine for a few days, and then not be able to do one that's even recognizable the next day. Coach K worked on getting me to be more comfortable on the BI edge for take-off. We also worked on correcting my free leg position. I needed to straighten the free leg before and after the three turn. She showed me how I'd been doing it with a bent free leg, and it looked really awful. She also made me do a single sal from back xovers. I really stink at these. This exercise requires you to really control the free leg because it's crossed under for the underpush of the xover and I have to bring it to the side to take-off for the sal without losing the check in my upper body. Tough stuff. Coach K also wanted to see double flips. I'd actually landed these really well the day before. But, I only landed one cheated one in lesson. Coach K thinks that I'm not keeping my left hip up in the air which makes me fall out to the left on the landing. I also need to fully commit to the rotation and not pop jumps! On double flips, I'm having a hard time figuring out the balance between pulling back and stepping up. If I pull straight back on take-off, I don't get any rotation. If I try to step up with the L side on the take-off, I tend to swing my shoulders around and get twisted in the air. The day that double flips were good, I had the step up and then rotate working perfectly. Now to get it back...

Posts might be a bit more scarce since there's been a reorganization at work and I'm much busier (not really a bad thing, because I was sooo bored before) and the home computer just crashed and has to be sent out for repairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home