Lesson Notes
Lesson was a little scary today because there was a big stack of cones in the rink... Those are coach's favorite thing to throw at me when I'm screwing up my jumps. And, I screwed up big time!
We spent the first 10 minutes on waltz jumps. Surprise of the day - I couldn't land a single one. Coach wanted me to push off of the left toe more on takeoff and concentrate on achieving a split position (or close to it) in the air. This meant that I got lots of height and distance, but it scared the crap out of me to hang in the air. I kept 2 footing the landings, and I had one where my landing edge slid out from under me. I finally landed 2 and coach plowed right ahead.
It was onto axels next. Apparently even after months of effort, I am still not jumping off the toe. Coach said it looks like I'm jumping off of my heel. I did land most of my attempts, but they were small with sloppy landings.
No rest for me, as coach wanted to see 2sals. I got reamed by coach for popping my first few attempts. We went back to salchow-back spin drills and found that I wasn't turning my right toe in and bringing my right leg under me in the air. I made the correction and landed a few under-rotated and sloppy attempts.
Coach wanted to work on one advanced jump today too. He gave me my choice, 2loop, 2flip, or 2lutz. We picked 2loop b/c I can usually fix my 2flip myself, and I was certainly not up to working on 2lutz. We worked on getting my right hip/foot under me and sitting up straight on take-off. I did a few that were cheated, but none that were fully rotated :(
We also looked at my novice bracket-3-bracket pattern. Coach wants me to be sure to skate a bit between each turn. We did a drill where I do the bracket, bend knee twice, 3 , bend knee twice, bracket. This makes take some time between the turns. I was surprised how sloppy I was. My free foot was hanging out, and I had a hard time staying on a straight line. We also worked on keeping my upper body still while my hips did the work.
Spent just a few minutes on novice rocker-choctaw pattern that goes straight down the ice. We worked on extension and gaining power. Coach said this was much improved! Finally, a happy note in this lesson!
We finished up with flying camels as the zamboni was entering the ice. I got the same corrections as always. I need to roll up onto the toe on take-off before I hit the BI edge. I actually landed a few that kept some speed in the spin. I was happy with that, but coach wanted me to try to push the spin onto an inside edge. It didn't happen today, but I have something new and interesting to play with which always makes me happy :)
We spent the first 10 minutes on waltz jumps. Surprise of the day - I couldn't land a single one. Coach wanted me to push off of the left toe more on takeoff and concentrate on achieving a split position (or close to it) in the air. This meant that I got lots of height and distance, but it scared the crap out of me to hang in the air. I kept 2 footing the landings, and I had one where my landing edge slid out from under me. I finally landed 2 and coach plowed right ahead.
It was onto axels next. Apparently even after months of effort, I am still not jumping off the toe. Coach said it looks like I'm jumping off of my heel. I did land most of my attempts, but they were small with sloppy landings.
No rest for me, as coach wanted to see 2sals. I got reamed by coach for popping my first few attempts. We went back to salchow-back spin drills and found that I wasn't turning my right toe in and bringing my right leg under me in the air. I made the correction and landed a few under-rotated and sloppy attempts.
Coach wanted to work on one advanced jump today too. He gave me my choice, 2loop, 2flip, or 2lutz. We picked 2loop b/c I can usually fix my 2flip myself, and I was certainly not up to working on 2lutz. We worked on getting my right hip/foot under me and sitting up straight on take-off. I did a few that were cheated, but none that were fully rotated :(
We also looked at my novice bracket-3-bracket pattern. Coach wants me to be sure to skate a bit between each turn. We did a drill where I do the bracket, bend knee twice, 3 , bend knee twice, bracket. This makes take some time between the turns. I was surprised how sloppy I was. My free foot was hanging out, and I had a hard time staying on a straight line. We also worked on keeping my upper body still while my hips did the work.
Spent just a few minutes on novice rocker-choctaw pattern that goes straight down the ice. We worked on extension and gaining power. Coach said this was much improved! Finally, a happy note in this lesson!
We finished up with flying camels as the zamboni was entering the ice. I got the same corrections as always. I need to roll up onto the toe on take-off before I hit the BI edge. I actually landed a few that kept some speed in the spin. I was happy with that, but coach wanted me to try to push the spin onto an inside edge. It didn't happen today, but I have something new and interesting to play with which always makes me happy :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home