Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Getting the Hang of It

I think I'm already improving in novice mitf. I can't wait to show coach! I made it all the way around the corner with the rocker pattern with a teeny bit of speed at the end. Now if I just knew how to get out of the rocker turns and into the forward perimeter xover stroking without looking like a complete dork :) Right now, I kinda put both feet down which would get me killed on a test session.

I spent some quality time on spins today. I'm happy to report that my camel was actually centered today! I do need to spend some extra time on sit spins - they used to be my best spin, but now they're slowing down and not centering. I used to practice them all of the time on weekend public sessions because I could do them without endangering anyone's life. Now that I don't go to weekend publics, I spend all of my time jumping and working on camels. I also worked on the scratch-back scratch spin combination from the pre-juvenile freeskate test. I hate that combo! I have days where my scratch spins just won't center, and doing them together seems to make those days even more frequent. Good thing I'm starting to work on it early!

Ran through jumps too. I took coach's advise and tried doing them in order aka. waltz, sal, toe, loop, flip, lutz, axel, 2sal, 2toe, 2loop, 2flip. It gets kinda tricky once I get to 2sal. I did manage to get all the way up to 2loop today without a miss - although the 2toe and 2loop were cheated. And, I spent about 10min. on double lutz - and landed one!

2 Comments:

  • At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I exited the rocker choctaw end pattern by doing a BI 3-turn after the last choctaw, skating out on a FO edge, then do the crossover in the corner and start the side pattern. Just make sure you do the crossover on the same lobe as the 3-turn (like RBI 3-turn, L over R crossover), I tended to forget this and then had an extra crossover in the side pattern and totally screwed up the placement of the end pattern.

    Evil move. My nemesis. :)

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure that coach said something about exiting with a BI 3turn, but during lesson I was running out of speed and only making it 1/2 way around the corner. I hope I can work on these during lesson this week. I really like the clockwise version. I'm going to need some extra practice on the counter clockwise ones though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home