Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Practice Makes Perfect

Did my practice run through of intermediate mitf again. They really are feeling better. I'm getting more of a push on the underpushes in the power circle xovers, and I'm able to hold the free leg higher with more control (no more skidding sideways!). My edges feel much more secure on the back double 3's (no more skidding the 3's!). Even the back perimeter xover stroking to back power 3's move is improving. The perimeter pattern is much better now that I look over my shoulder (look outside of the circle/lobe that I'm on) and I've almost got the timing down for starting the 1st power 3. I was actually starting the first power 3 too early and then wasn't getting the correct pattern around the corners. The brackets are still a bit scratchy/skidded, but I think that they're much quieter and I have good extension which should get me some extra points to make up for the skid. The inside slide chasse is so fun! I love this move and am glad that I get to finish up with one of my stronger moves. Just trying to improve turnout and toe point now.

Axels were actually better today! I still have a small skid, but it's much less than what it was yesterday. I'm not quite sure how I fixed it, but I won't argue with improvement.

2sal was inconsistent. I think I started dropping my upper body over the inside edge instead of standing up straight on the entry. And, they feel a bit wrapped. I really tried to snap into the backspin and point my toes which helped.

2toe was a disaster. I need coach's help with this one. I still get no distance! I get more distance on a walkthrough than on a double attempt. I don't know how that's possible.

2loop was still cheated. I did do one that felt higher. The trick seems to be to get that candy cane shape on the BO entrance edge. That makes me turn almost 1/4 turn on the ice and helps eliminate the cheat.

2flip was actually landed today! I did 3 - a bit sloppy, but I'll take it! I tried to think of pulling straight back and getting my weight over my picking foot. I also think of lifting from the hips which gets me a lot more height!

Lutz was good. I'm not trying doubles without coach right now. Every time I try a double, I get the worst flutz ever seen (the tracing looks like a backward 'S'). So, for now I'm working on correct technique in my single. I'm trying to keep my upper body straight on take-off and pull straight back and up. I did one lutz today that got 4.5 bladelengths of distance! That was outstanding.

Program: I actually managed the LBI charlotte into BI 3turn into sit spin. Yes, that's all without putting the right foot down! I was getting so discouraged and thinking about telling my coach that I just couldn't dow it. Then, I decided to try one at full speed, just for the hell of it, and did it! It was still a bit slower than my normal spins, but it was done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home