Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Friday, November 09, 2007

Failed Again

I just failed junior moves for the second time. I haven't had much time or money for skating since going back to school, so I'm not really surprised. I didn't even get to skate the day before the test because I'm so behind on school work. I certainly didn't skate the test as well as I have in practice, but it was definitely a stronger than my first try. I ended up with the exact same total scores though, .3 under passing by each judge. (WTF ?- I know this was stonger than the last time!) Anyway, here are the dirty details... (4.0 is passing, and yes, I got the exact same scores from every judge on every move)

Forward Power Circles - 4.0
-good stroke through and knee bend
-one judge thought they were a bit choppy at the end

Back Power Circles - 4.0
-same comments as forward...

Outside Rockers - 3.9
-some flats
-deliberate
*This one I'm kind of angry about. I know these were much better than my last test, and I got the same score. I cleaned up the bobble after the outside turns which is what failed this move last time, and my edges and speed have improved. Grrrrr... Plus, two other people passed this move with patterns that I really don't think were better than mine. Double Grrrrr...

Inside Rockers - 3.9
-loss of balance
*This is where I almost face planted right in front of the judges on a FI rocker. I somehow managed to stay on one foot without touching down and finish the pattern, and I thought I should have had a re-skate on this. This is one of my better patterns, and could have been over passing without the near disaster.

Power Pulls - 4.0
-nice pulls
-turns could be quicker
*This was not even close to my best, hopefully this will be over passing next time, since I don't think the judges are ever going to pass my outside rockers.

Choctaws - 3.9
-clean turns, good speed and flow
-not enough edge, too flat
*I knew this one wasn't strong, but was hoping to get over on power circles and/or power pulls.


At least I know what I have to work on now. I have to skate faster on the outside rockers. I have to not lose my balance in front of the judges on the inside rockers. And, I have to figure out how to get on deeper edges on the choctaws without losing my speed and rhythm. The next test session is in 2-3 months depending on when the gold judges are available again. I don't intend to fail this test again.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm very sorry! Moves tests are so difficult, even with lots of practice. Next time for sure!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I sure hope so! I'm getting awfully tired of junior moves after working on them for a full year.

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear you got a retry again... but from your post, sounds like you know exactly what you need to do to pass it, and you are determined!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Simone said…

    Glad to see you are still managing to get some skating in! Sorry about the retry - judges are so frustrating!!
    3turn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home