Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lessons 1/17 and 1/24

Wow, I must not have been bored at work last week because I didn't update at all.

This week's lesson was pretty much the same as last week's, so I'll just put everything together in one entry.

I should also add that I'm only getting one hour of practice outside of my lesson, so progress is going to be very slow at this point.

Anyway, on to the lesson notes:

Coach K has made it her mission to fix my bad habits in my salchow, toeloop, and flying camel.

Salchow: I was actually restricted to singles last week (no complaint from me!). We worked on getting a down(as you step forward)-up(as you turn/check)-down(sit in knee and ankle)-up(spring up and push off toe pick) motion. We also worked on getting my free leg to come around in a wide arc on the BI edge instead of kicking straight through close to my skating leg. This week we tried the mohawk entrance and the 3turn entrance from clockwise xovers (the ? shaped pattern). Both of these entrances seemed to help me keep my entrance on a more appropriate curve (with a flatter 3turn that doesn't hook until the very end of the BI edge). I tried a couple of doubles today, but didn't land any. However, Coach K did see improvement in the jump, so we left it at that.

Toeloop: Really only a few minor corrections. I need to stand up straight when stepping into the jump (bend from the ankles/knees, not the waist). And, I need to keep my right side coming forward and up on the take-off. Finally, keep my arms in until I've landed the jump. No open, wavy arms.

Flying camel: It's not a flying salchow!!! I shouldn't be on the BI edge when I take-off. Coach K gave me a great tip about how to do that - keep pulling my heel up toward my calf as I prepare to take-off. That forced me off of my toepick, gave me great lift, and a true flying camel. Coach K said that when I focused on pulling my heel up on the entrance edge, I looked like a totally different(in a very good way) skater.

Layback: Another great Coach K tip - keep a teeny bit of knee bend in the skating leg after the snap, then straighten the knee as you center/push your hips forward. Also, I need to make sure that my L shoulder gets down as far as my right.

Camel-back camel: Turn in my right toe as I prepare to set it down for the back camel, and step wider so I can generate more of a push over to my R side.

Camel with a FO edge: These are really close. I shift my weight back to my heel really well. That gets me onto a flat. Now I just need to turn my foot out a bit more to get that deep outside edge. If only I had just a little more practice time...

We didn't have time to work on moves. I'm seriously considering asking for another lesson on Wed. or Thur. morning so we can work on choreography/moves. Coach K said she'll look for music to use for my pre-juv freeskate. And, she seemed agreeable to the fact that I'd prefer something dramatic or graceful over a fast/peppy program. Have I mentioned I love my new coach?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home