Pair of Publics
I managed to skate 2 publics over my Christmas break.
I went to one public at my old rink near Chicago with some of my skating friends who I've known for about 10 years. The session was pretty empty, and center ice was coned off for figure skaters. We had a great time catching up and of course, skating. The youngest of us (only 17 now) has improved so much. I remember teaching him an axel a few years ago, now he's landing most of his doubles. I'm really happy for him, but also extremely jealous. I helped him learn most of the doubles he's landing, but I can't land them myself. Oh, well. Sometimes people get better than you. I suppose that's bound to happen. My other friend is an adult who skates about 1x per week. He's single jumps through flip, a wonky scratch and sit spin, and a spread eagle to die for. We had a great time skating. My friends even gave me some tips on my axel, and it's already much better. The other good news is that we got our Stars on Ice tickets, and we're in the first row! Although, we didn't realize tickets went up to $110 this year. We only paid $60 for best available last year. Good thing I work full time now or I might not have been able to afford that ticket.
My second public session was at a rink near my boyfriend's house. I was almost the only one on the ice. A figure skater and her boyfriend in rental skates also skated for a few minutes, but spent most of their time cuddling in the hockey box which suited me just fine. I spend about 40 min on mitf, figures, and 3turns/brackets on the hockey circles. I am determined to get my nice, round, well-edged double 3's back. I made some progress on that. Then I spent 20min spinning and 20min jumping. I decided to work on my single jumps rather than just do one of each and call it quits. I can skate really quickly and powerfully into singles. I'd forgotten that. I also worked on landing on a clean outside edge. I did try double sals at the end of the session, but I popped them all. At least I landed a clean axel though. I'm really thinking I may switch my focus to dance after Adult Nationals next year.
I went to one public at my old rink near Chicago with some of my skating friends who I've known for about 10 years. The session was pretty empty, and center ice was coned off for figure skaters. We had a great time catching up and of course, skating. The youngest of us (only 17 now) has improved so much. I remember teaching him an axel a few years ago, now he's landing most of his doubles. I'm really happy for him, but also extremely jealous. I helped him learn most of the doubles he's landing, but I can't land them myself. Oh, well. Sometimes people get better than you. I suppose that's bound to happen. My other friend is an adult who skates about 1x per week. He's single jumps through flip, a wonky scratch and sit spin, and a spread eagle to die for. We had a great time skating. My friends even gave me some tips on my axel, and it's already much better. The other good news is that we got our Stars on Ice tickets, and we're in the first row! Although, we didn't realize tickets went up to $110 this year. We only paid $60 for best available last year. Good thing I work full time now or I might not have been able to afford that ticket.
My second public session was at a rink near my boyfriend's house. I was almost the only one on the ice. A figure skater and her boyfriend in rental skates also skated for a few minutes, but spent most of their time cuddling in the hockey box which suited me just fine. I spend about 40 min on mitf, figures, and 3turns/brackets on the hockey circles. I am determined to get my nice, round, well-edged double 3's back. I made some progress on that. Then I spent 20min spinning and 20min jumping. I decided to work on my single jumps rather than just do one of each and call it quits. I can skate really quickly and powerfully into singles. I'd forgotten that. I also worked on landing on a clean outside edge. I did try double sals at the end of the session, but I popped them all. At least I landed a clean axel though. I'm really thinking I may switch my focus to dance after Adult Nationals next year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home