Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Good Day

I hadn't skated since before Thanksgiving, so I thought today would be a total disaster. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I won't start my new job (8am-4:30pm) until Friday, so I'm planning on enjoying all of the daytime ice I can get this week. I managed to get in 1.5 hours before work today.

Practice Rundown:

Novice MITF: I actually made it through the whole pattern in both directions on the quick rocker turn sequence (the one in the corners)! Thanks Jocelyn for the inside 3turn tip - I finally made it around the corner with enough speed to continue the pattern.

Axel: I landed all of my attempts, but they weren't great. I'm still skidding on the take-off. Although, on my last one, I thought about really pointing the toe into the ice on take-off and it skidded considerably less.

2salchow: I landed my first attempt, but it was cheated. The second one was landed perfectly. I've reduced these to methodical jumps again. And, I've gone back to the 3turn entry which is much easier for me than the mohawk that coach likes. Focusing on step-by-step technique seems to be the key to consistency for me in this jump. I have to think: push forward, 3turn, check with free leg held back and toe pointed, bring right side forward and curve, lift free knee-lift arms-push off skating toe. Once I'm in the air, I automatically get into the backspin position. My problem is getting through the darn take-off.

2toeloop: These were hopeless today. I only managed to land one. I'm not getting any distance and the outside edge is skidding on take-off. I think I need coach's help here.

2loop: I really felt the outside edge on take-off today. Taking the weekend off somehow seems to have eliminated any trace of toe scratching on the entrance edge. These had great height today which I attribute to coach getting me over my R side on take-off last week. I think the last one I did was fully rotated!

2flip: Landed one on the 2nd try. I just have to pull my skating foot in almost next to the picking foot to keep my hips in the correct position and I can do this jump.

Lutz: I didn't try doubles today - Bad Jennifer! I was getting ok height and distance, but I was taking unusually big chunks out of the ice. Hopefully these will right themselves.

Camel: I'm trying to get this on a FO edge. I'm so close, but so far. I can get onto a flat, but I can't quite get the last bit over to the outside edge.

Back Camel: I got this on an inside edge today! Only for 1 rev, but it was one complete rev! I think this only needs 2 revs on the inside edge to count under COP since it's an unusually difficult position.

Flying Camel: It's still a flying salchow. I wait to long to jump and end up taking off from a BI edge instead of a FO.

All in all I was pleased with today's skate. It's nice to get some consistency back in my jumps, and I'm getting close to some really difficult spins. It was also nice that I was the lone skater on the daytime public and I got to play my own cd's all session long ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home