Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Splat

I fell a lot on jumps today. And, just because I called it reliable yesterday, my axel was goofy today. I kept getting a horrible skid on the takeoff, popping the jump, and landing forward. Those forward landings are really scary. I slowed down a bit (I've been trying to add speed) and kept my R shoulder back on takeoff, and that seemed to help me get back in control. My 2salchow felt retarded. I'm just not getting the spring that I have in the past, and I think I'm tilted in the air. My 2toeloop is still cheated and gets maybe 2 inches of distance at the most. By the time I got to 2loop and 2flip, I was tired and just couldn't get my exhausted muscles to cooperate, so I attempted a few and decided to leave them for tomorrow.

My back camel from the FI 3turn was still bad, and I couldn't do a camel-back camel to save my life. I did do one flying camel that was really good though. 7 revs, and it was at a respectable speed. I think I've been given a gift from the skating gods in my camel-sit-layback. I couldn't do this move at all at the end of the spring session. I didn't practice it all summer due to limited ice time. Now, I can do it with 4 revs on each position. I'm going to try for 5-6 revs in each position. The beauty of it is that I have good speed, and I gain speed with the transitions. The hardest part is holding the layback position for enough revs - I sometimes get a little bit droopy towards the end.

I have a lesson with coach tomorrow morning. We're supposed to have an hour together, so I should be able to do a runthrough of intermediate MITF, and try to fix some of my jumps. I think my intermediate MITF are as good as they're going to get without any coaching. I know coach will have lots of adjustments to make, but I hope I'm at least close to passing.

What I learned at practice today: blades don't go sideways. I was trying the junior power pulls move. I did my 3 power pulls and started the quick turns. I freaked out though b/c I had more speed than usual and tried to stop right in the middle of a turn. I fell right on my rear, and learned yet again that blades just don't go sideways :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home