The Plan For Next Year
Ok, so this past Nationals wasn't exactly what I had hoped for in terms of my performance. I really want to turn it up a level for next year. That means that I'll be:
1. Skating faster.
2. Doing a spiral sequence instead of footwork. (love this one!)
3. Aiming for higher level spins.
4. Using faster/more upbeat music.
5. Expressing the music better.
6. Choreographing a more IJS friendly program. (read: cram as many jumps in the last half of the program as possible)
7. Getting over my mental problems with jumping.
So far, I'm working on skating faster. It's damn scary going all out into even single jumps. I also tend to make the doubles and axels into terrible popped jumps. I don't know why I can't seem to keep my technique right just because I'm adding speed. Coach K and I walked through axels, and think we spotted some problems. Those were better today. Double toe and double sal were crapsville today though.
On the spin front, I've been working on a catch foot layback. I think I've got the grab worked out now. I was trying to crank all of the speed that I could out of the layback, but I have to actually relax just a bit and slow the spin down before grabbing my foot. If I don't, I miss my foot and end up with a killer headache and get dizzy for the next 10 minutes. I made the grab properly everytime I tried today. Now, I just have to keep my hips under me so that I can get enough revs for the spin to count...
As for spirals, I'm going to have to look up exactly what constitutes a level in a spiral sequence. I know that doing a change of edge spiral gets you one level. I have a killer FI to FO edge spiral. I thought a position with the free leg to the side was one, but I could be wrong there. And, I'm pretty sure that doing a spiral on all four edges and both feet was another one. I can easily manage those three things, but I'll have to see what I could do to get a level 4. And see what I can fit in the new program.
For new music, Coach K suggested an instrumental version of a disco song which I immediately rejected. I'm not a peppy skater. NO JAZZ HANDS!!! I suggested tango, which she immediately rejected. Doesn't translate well to the ice, hard to choreograph, too choppy, not perky enough. I just listened to a compilation of ballet music from operas, and I loved Samson and Dalila. I think it's a bit over-used, and it's possible that someone else might show up with it at Mids or Nats next year, but I think I may use it anyway. Coach K said that would probably work, so now I just have to harass her until she gets it cut. I can't wait to start on a new program!
1. Skating faster.
2. Doing a spiral sequence instead of footwork. (love this one!)
3. Aiming for higher level spins.
4. Using faster/more upbeat music.
5. Expressing the music better.
6. Choreographing a more IJS friendly program. (read: cram as many jumps in the last half of the program as possible)
7. Getting over my mental problems with jumping.
So far, I'm working on skating faster. It's damn scary going all out into even single jumps. I also tend to make the doubles and axels into terrible popped jumps. I don't know why I can't seem to keep my technique right just because I'm adding speed. Coach K and I walked through axels, and think we spotted some problems. Those were better today. Double toe and double sal were crapsville today though.
On the spin front, I've been working on a catch foot layback. I think I've got the grab worked out now. I was trying to crank all of the speed that I could out of the layback, but I have to actually relax just a bit and slow the spin down before grabbing my foot. If I don't, I miss my foot and end up with a killer headache and get dizzy for the next 10 minutes. I made the grab properly everytime I tried today. Now, I just have to keep my hips under me so that I can get enough revs for the spin to count...
As for spirals, I'm going to have to look up exactly what constitutes a level in a spiral sequence. I know that doing a change of edge spiral gets you one level. I have a killer FI to FO edge spiral. I thought a position with the free leg to the side was one, but I could be wrong there. And, I'm pretty sure that doing a spiral on all four edges and both feet was another one. I can easily manage those three things, but I'll have to see what I could do to get a level 4. And see what I can fit in the new program.
For new music, Coach K suggested an instrumental version of a disco song which I immediately rejected. I'm not a peppy skater. NO JAZZ HANDS!!! I suggested tango, which she immediately rejected. Doesn't translate well to the ice, hard to choreograph, too choppy, not perky enough. I just listened to a compilation of ballet music from operas, and I loved Samson and Dalila. I think it's a bit over-used, and it's possible that someone else might show up with it at Mids or Nats next year, but I think I may use it anyway. Coach K said that would probably work, so now I just have to harass her until she gets it cut. I can't wait to start on a new program!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home