Choctaws with New Coach
I had my first lesson with Coach R on Saturday. She's going to help me get ready to re-test junior moves. Coach K suggested that I work with her, especially on choctaws which are my weakness. It was so fun to get another perspective, and to hear corrections from a slightly different point of view. I was really impressed with Coach R's ability to break down moves to individual steps/movements, and to come up with exercises to help improve your weak spots.
We added "Annie's edges" to my warm-up. It's basically a choctaw pattern down the length of the rink with a FI choctaw, extension, X front, BO choctaw, repeat Those aren't too bad, although I don't think I'm on deep enough edges, especially on the FI choctaws.
I'm also supposed to do a lap of BO edges with a X front to change feet. I suck at these. I get no speed, my position is terrible, and I'm doing about 8 edges per side instead of 5-6. These are going to require a lot of work.
The last part of my drills is to do the junior pattern on a hockey line, and to keep the proper lean with my body. Right now, I'm using my arms to help, but eventually I'll have to keep the arms fairly still and use just the lean to hit my edges.
Coach R also wants me to work on having more knee bend and more power in general, or to "look more like a junior level skater."
We added "Annie's edges" to my warm-up. It's basically a choctaw pattern down the length of the rink with a FI choctaw, extension, X front, BO choctaw, repeat Those aren't too bad, although I don't think I'm on deep enough edges, especially on the FI choctaws.
I'm also supposed to do a lap of BO edges with a X front to change feet. I suck at these. I get no speed, my position is terrible, and I'm doing about 8 edges per side instead of 5-6. These are going to require a lot of work.
The last part of my drills is to do the junior pattern on a hockey line, and to keep the proper lean with my body. Right now, I'm using my arms to help, but eventually I'll have to keep the arms fairly still and use just the lean to hit my edges.
Coach R also wants me to work on having more knee bend and more power in general, or to "look more like a junior level skater."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home