Jennifer's Figure Skating Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Blahs

I've got a bad case of the skating blahs. I don't have a test or competition coming up, so I'm not feeling very motivated right now.

I actually took two days off in a row this week. I haven't done that in awhile. It sure showed today. All of my double jumps are back to complete suck. I was getting tired by the time I started jumping today, but I was truly awful.

Then, I tried to spin which is usually my strong point. But, I'm working on new spins to get higher levels under IJS, and I pretty much suck at them. Coach K wants me doing a level 4 combo spin: back camel-back sit-i/s edge back sit-forward camel-o/s edge forward camel. I don't do the back camel all that well, then I don't gain any speed getting into the sit, then I'm barely moving and I have to change the edge. If I actually manage all of that, I usually just about kill myself trying to get the forward camel from the i/s edge back sit. Ugh, spinning is supposed to be fun, but this is pure crazy.

I also worked on the layback with the haircutter position. Since IJS changed the rules to give you a level for holding a position for 8 revs, Coach K wants the layback to have 3 revs before the hair cutter. Unfortunately, I can only get about 6 revs on a good layback without the haircutter. And, I'm stilly dizzy and disoriented after the haircutter. My vision literally goes blurry, and I get tingly in the hands and arms, and I come soooo close to passing out. I'm sure that will look lovely in the program.

Last on today's menu was the flying camel combo spin. I'd like to get the i/s edge on the camel, and then go into a back sit with a core change. That would be a level two spin. The highlight of the day today was that I actually got a back camel on the i/s edge. It was secure, and I managed to hold it for about 5 revs!! Better yet, DD (one of my coach's students and a coach herself) saw it! :) It was nice to end a pretty sucky practice with something awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home