Happy Holidays
I missed some skating due to a killer sinus/head cold illness that took about a week to get out of my system. I was finally getting back in the swing of things, and then there was no ice available anywhere on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. So I did the next best thing and skated at 5am the day after Christmas. I wasn't nearly as rusty as I expected after four full days off ice. However, I was a bit upset because Coach K missed my lesson today after I specifically asked her last week if we were going to do our normal lesson since Tue. was the day after Christmas. I love my coach, I just wish she made it to a few more of my lessons.
Left to my own devices, I took it a bit easy at first and did some edge drills. Then, it was on to twizzles. For the most part, I have the ones that start with a FO 3turn handled. Occasionally I botch them, but they're not scary anymore. The FI 3turn ones are improving, but still a nightmare. I did manage to string together a whole side of them, but I don't think they looked very pretty.
I also ran through junior moves. Not much has changed here. Power circles could use a bit more speed on the last few xovers. Forward rockers are still rather dicey on the exit edges. Power pulls are feeling stronger, and choctaws are still improving in tiny increments.
I did some axels they way they are in my program. I have to have Coach K look at these. She and Chris both mentioned that there's something funny about the way I'm setting up on the BO edge. I can't figure it out though. I either end up on two feet for too long, or I pick my foot up too soon swing it around in the air which ruins the stability of the set-up. I can't figure out the inbetween point where I'd actually be setting up correctly. I also tried to think of stretching my legs in the air, as I noticed I was keeping them a bit too bent.
I also worked on double salchows. I tried to get my feet crossed at the ankles in the air. The jumps felt much neater, but I was having a hard time getting a clean landing. I guess I got a bit stuck once I finally got in the right position. I'll have to do some extra backspin-checkout drills.
I hit another freestyle session this afternoon. I usually do public on Tue and Thur afternoons, but it was a zoo with the kids being out of school, so I coughed up the $10 for the freestyle. I might not have been any better off on the freestyle because there were so many low level little kids who obviously were not watching out for anyone else at all. I did get in some double loops and double toes which were both still cheated. I was relieved that they were still intact though. Usually with a four day break, half of my jumps would be in shambles. Maybe all of the work Coach K and I have been putting into jump technique is working...
I spent the last 20 min of the session working on spins. The combo spin from the program was being problematic. It's a camel-FO edge camel-catch foot-backsit-BI edge upright-???(maybe the one with the free foot crossed behind, but it's not quite there yet). I kept botching the darn camel. The easiest part of the whole spin, and I just couldn't get a good hook. I eventually figured out that I needed to keep my right shoulder back a bit more on the entrance, but I think my dull skates have something to do with my camel's downward spiral as of late. I also worked on getting more revs in my flying camel, and catching my free foot while doing a sideways leaning spin.
Left to my own devices, I took it a bit easy at first and did some edge drills. Then, it was on to twizzles. For the most part, I have the ones that start with a FO 3turn handled. Occasionally I botch them, but they're not scary anymore. The FI 3turn ones are improving, but still a nightmare. I did manage to string together a whole side of them, but I don't think they looked very pretty.
I also ran through junior moves. Not much has changed here. Power circles could use a bit more speed on the last few xovers. Forward rockers are still rather dicey on the exit edges. Power pulls are feeling stronger, and choctaws are still improving in tiny increments.
I did some axels they way they are in my program. I have to have Coach K look at these. She and Chris both mentioned that there's something funny about the way I'm setting up on the BO edge. I can't figure it out though. I either end up on two feet for too long, or I pick my foot up too soon swing it around in the air which ruins the stability of the set-up. I can't figure out the inbetween point where I'd actually be setting up correctly. I also tried to think of stretching my legs in the air, as I noticed I was keeping them a bit too bent.
I also worked on double salchows. I tried to get my feet crossed at the ankles in the air. The jumps felt much neater, but I was having a hard time getting a clean landing. I guess I got a bit stuck once I finally got in the right position. I'll have to do some extra backspin-checkout drills.
I hit another freestyle session this afternoon. I usually do public on Tue and Thur afternoons, but it was a zoo with the kids being out of school, so I coughed up the $10 for the freestyle. I might not have been any better off on the freestyle because there were so many low level little kids who obviously were not watching out for anyone else at all. I did get in some double loops and double toes which were both still cheated. I was relieved that they were still intact though. Usually with a four day break, half of my jumps would be in shambles. Maybe all of the work Coach K and I have been putting into jump technique is working...
I spent the last 20 min of the session working on spins. The combo spin from the program was being problematic. It's a camel-FO edge camel-catch foot-backsit-BI edge upright-???(maybe the one with the free foot crossed behind, but it's not quite there yet). I kept botching the darn camel. The easiest part of the whole spin, and I just couldn't get a good hook. I eventually figured out that I needed to keep my right shoulder back a bit more on the entrance, but I think my dull skates have something to do with my camel's downward spiral as of late. I also worked on getting more revs in my flying camel, and catching my free foot while doing a sideways leaning spin.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home