Another Good Day
I didn't feel like working hard when I first go to the rink. It was a good thing that I didn't plunge right into my Intermediate moves because the zamboni guy had left ridges (1/2"-1") high in both corners! I would have killed myself if I hit one of those while doing xovers at full speed! One side of the rink wasn't too bad, so I did my power circles on that end. On the other end, I had to kick down these ridges, and waste what little sharpening I had left on my blades to smooth the corner enough so I could practice my back power3's and back double3's. Here's the rundown on my int. moves:
Power Circles: Still working on holding the free leg up higher, especially on the underpush. Look into the circle. The first four xovers should be really slow but by the end, I should be almost "running." I think these are greatly improved, but coach never seems to like the way I do them. Sigh.
Back power3's: The perimeter xover stroking is much better after last lesson. (helpful tip = look my shoulder. for example when pushing back to RBI edge, look over the R shoulder or when pushing back to LBI edge, look over the L shoulder.) The bad news is that I've altered my pattern a little, and it's thrown the power3's off a bit. I think it'll be for the best in the long run though. I don't have as much speed coming into the corner for the power3's as I did before. So, I have to really reach inside and then squeeze my free leg back infront on the step between the FI mohawk and 3turn to generate power.
Back double3's: Coach was fine with the BO to FI side. The BI to FO needs work. I have to keep my free leg up after the FO3 and turn my toe up toward the ceiling. I can do it so well when I'm going slow and on a small circle. I lose some control when doing it on pattern.
Brackets: Still skid some of them, but slowly becoming more consistent.
Inside Slide Chasse Sequence: Lean back on the 3turns! Then, remember to turn out free leg and point toe on the slides! Extension is a secondary focus on this move!
I feel pretty good about these moves again. I have to remember that coach is always super hard on me. On my Juv. moves test, I don't think he ever told me that he liked any of my moves. Then on my score sheets, all the judges had nice comments and I was above passing! Hopefully it'll be the same for intermediate :)
I also played around with the novice moves I know - which are almost all of them! I still don't have any speed/power, but they're fun patterns to work on. I know the counters (inside and outside), the rocker-choctaw that goes down the ice, the spiral pattern, and the bracket-3-bracket.
I spent a good amount of time spinning today. I realized something extraordinary (one of those things I prolly should have known all along but never realized). When I do spins, I hit a position and then finish the spin or move immediately to the next position. My spins would be much better if I hit the position and hold it! Duh! I sometimes forget to count revs, so I tried to hold all positions on combo spins for at least 5 revs. Tough stuff. Although I did a layback where I was just staring at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity... Very fun!
I left jumps for last (prolly why I had such a good day). My axel has lost its former flow and grace. I now manage to cover only about 4.5 bladelengths max when I look at my tracing instead of the 5.5 that I had managed before. I'm still skidding on takeoff - I'm sure that's where I lose the flow. I also need to stretch up more in the air and point my toes. I did make some progress holding my back up on the landing though.
2salchow: These were kind of fun today. I was getting lots of height, but not getting as tight of an air position (wrapping alert!). I went into these with more confidence that I've had in a long time. I played with different entrances - FI mohawk and 3turn from bauers, spread eagles, and footwork.
2toeloop: Sigh. When something gets better, something else gets worse. I think it's a skating law. 2toeloop was almost completely gone today. I'd been feeling a deepen in the knee bend after the FI3 that seemed to help me get height. I lost that today. When I realized it and concentrated on it, I landed a cheated 2toe. Other than that, they were just plain ugly jumps today.
2loop: Only had a few minutes for these. They're still cheated. Not quite sure how to fix it... Will have to show coach.
Power Circles: Still working on holding the free leg up higher, especially on the underpush. Look into the circle. The first four xovers should be really slow but by the end, I should be almost "running." I think these are greatly improved, but coach never seems to like the way I do them. Sigh.
Back power3's: The perimeter xover stroking is much better after last lesson. (helpful tip = look my shoulder. for example when pushing back to RBI edge, look over the R shoulder or when pushing back to LBI edge, look over the L shoulder.) The bad news is that I've altered my pattern a little, and it's thrown the power3's off a bit. I think it'll be for the best in the long run though. I don't have as much speed coming into the corner for the power3's as I did before. So, I have to really reach inside and then squeeze my free leg back infront on the step between the FI mohawk and 3turn to generate power.
Back double3's: Coach was fine with the BO to FI side. The BI to FO needs work. I have to keep my free leg up after the FO3 and turn my toe up toward the ceiling. I can do it so well when I'm going slow and on a small circle. I lose some control when doing it on pattern.
Brackets: Still skid some of them, but slowly becoming more consistent.
Inside Slide Chasse Sequence: Lean back on the 3turns! Then, remember to turn out free leg and point toe on the slides! Extension is a secondary focus on this move!
I feel pretty good about these moves again. I have to remember that coach is always super hard on me. On my Juv. moves test, I don't think he ever told me that he liked any of my moves. Then on my score sheets, all the judges had nice comments and I was above passing! Hopefully it'll be the same for intermediate :)
I also played around with the novice moves I know - which are almost all of them! I still don't have any speed/power, but they're fun patterns to work on. I know the counters (inside and outside), the rocker-choctaw that goes down the ice, the spiral pattern, and the bracket-3-bracket.
I spent a good amount of time spinning today. I realized something extraordinary (one of those things I prolly should have known all along but never realized). When I do spins, I hit a position and then finish the spin or move immediately to the next position. My spins would be much better if I hit the position and hold it! Duh! I sometimes forget to count revs, so I tried to hold all positions on combo spins for at least 5 revs. Tough stuff. Although I did a layback where I was just staring at the ceiling for what seemed like an eternity... Very fun!
I left jumps for last (prolly why I had such a good day). My axel has lost its former flow and grace. I now manage to cover only about 4.5 bladelengths max when I look at my tracing instead of the 5.5 that I had managed before. I'm still skidding on takeoff - I'm sure that's where I lose the flow. I also need to stretch up more in the air and point my toes. I did make some progress holding my back up on the landing though.
2salchow: These were kind of fun today. I was getting lots of height, but not getting as tight of an air position (wrapping alert!). I went into these with more confidence that I've had in a long time. I played with different entrances - FI mohawk and 3turn from bauers, spread eagles, and footwork.
2toeloop: Sigh. When something gets better, something else gets worse. I think it's a skating law. 2toeloop was almost completely gone today. I'd been feeling a deepen in the knee bend after the FI3 that seemed to help me get height. I lost that today. When I realized it and concentrated on it, I landed a cheated 2toe. Other than that, they were just plain ugly jumps today.
2loop: Only had a few minutes for these. They're still cheated. Not quite sure how to fix it... Will have to show coach.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home